Thursday, September 18, 2008

Day Two -- Nut Infatuation

I woke up early this morning and actually felt great . . . was expecting a headache (some say the side effects of a low/no sugar diet) or to feel weak , so that was a pleasant surprise. My stomach did start rumbling right away, so I had a 1/2 of a grapefruit and a small portion of whole milk yogurt (allowed, but limited) with lots of fresh berries and some pecans. . . it was yummy and actually quite satisfying!

I was so busy getting the kids ready for school that I didn't have time to miss my coffee, but was reminded of it later as I drove past Starbucks and thought wistfully about my regular order: a tall skinny two pump mocha with whip cream. I tried to console myself with the idea of herbal no sugar peppermint chamomile decaffeinated tea. That got me over the hump.

At playgroup with Sophie, I did not get to snack with the other moms & toddlers -- "no bread and applesauce for me, I'm doing a cleanse". The other mom's all ooh-ed and aahh-ed and asked questions . . . and many mentioned that they also wanted to do a detox. I felt a tad out of place only sipping on chamomile tea at the kiddie table. Sophie ate my share of snack.

Did not have time to eat anything until about 2pm, when I had a tuna nicoise salad (tuna, egg, lots of veggies) sans dressing. I noticed, however, that I wasn't starving at that point. The breakfast had satisfied me and I really had no food cravings at all. I think this may be due to the protein -- nuts, eggs and fish. But I'm only guessing -- its only Day 2 of the cleanse, so I really don't consider myself well-informed or an expert yet.

A word about nuts. They taste good. They are satisfying. They are even sweet. They are not salty (we have to eat raw nuts). I am a bit worried, though. I have been eating a quite a bit of nuts and I've heard they can be hard to digest. I hope my nut infatuation doesn't cause me any "troubles". I'll keep you posted on that.

Another note: although I've been a bit busy, I have, been drinking oodles (that's a scientific term, look it up) of liquids. Lots of water, carbonated water (Perrier) and herbal teas. I think this may be why I have not had a headache or any seeming side effects from the cleanse yet.

Ah, but now the kids are home and Houston, I think we have a problem. They want a chocolate chip cookie -- which I purchase for them at our local farm, along with 2 dozen fresh eggs for the cleanse (I will probably be laying eggs by the time this is over). I manage to avoid looking at the cookies, smelling the cookies, thinking about the cookies. So far, so good. When we get home, I, unfortunately for me but fortunately for the kids, need to prepare them dinner. Menu: Salmon (lime, ginger, garlic and olive oil -- which I can have) and butternut squash (the kids get rice and peas as well). Perfect . . . except we have some left over rice that I decide (stupidly) to make into rice pudding for dessert. As its cooking I realize that I really need to try it to ensure that it tastes good, setting up right, etc. So I do taste it, several time, spitting each taste out afterwards. I am totally committed to this cleanse.

I was a little tired this evening, but did another session of hot yoga with Lynda. I figure if I'm going to cleanse myself, I'm going for it. Incredible class, did a full wheel (back bend, for those non-yoga folks out there) for the 2nd time (first was yesterday, Day 1 of cleanse). Feel great. At home I made myself a frozen berry smoothie as a treat with a little whole milk yogurt and cream (all allowed, but in small portions). Simply Delicious.

No comments: